Winterized the chain saws today.

Discussion in 'Chain Saw Forum' started by NUTNDUN, Dec 24, 2010.

1. NUTNDUN

NUTNDUN Administrator

I got a chance to work in the garage a good bit today. While working on some stuff for the garden tractors I took the time to winterize my Stihl MS 362 and my Dolmar PS401.

Basically the only thing I did was I started them up and warmed em up a good bit and then shut it off, drained the gas and then fired em up again to run the gas out of the carb. The Dolmar was pretty clean considering I didn't use it since the last time I cleaned it. I need to clean the Stihl yet though but at least I don't have to worry about the gas getting old or gummy in the carb now.

2. Bolens 1000

Bolens 1000 Moderator

Thanks for posting this George!

I forgot to run the gas out of the Echo and one of the mini macs!

3. mjodrey

mjodrey Moderator

Yes,it was a good reminder.

4. NUTNDUN

NUTNDUN Administrator

I have four more days off for the New Year holiday starting Thursday and I think one of the things I am going to take care of is tearing the Stihl MS 362 partially apart and cleaning it real good. I never cleaned it real good like I always do after cutting the last time when we were splitting the wood pile.

I almost feel like I am abusing her. I also want to sharpen the chains and oil them for storage as well.

5. Bolens 1000

Bolens 1000 Moderator

I usually try and take apart my saws after each use. I usually use the compressed air to clean them up

6. NUTNDUN

NUTNDUN Administrator

I use compressed air to blow the sawdust off and then simple green to clean what is stuck to the oil and clean the oil off under the drive cover and front of the chain saw.

7. daytime dave

daytime dave Member

I winterized the elec trak chain saw. I unplugged it and put it on the shelf after making sure the chain was oiled. I don't think I have ever winterized my Craftsman saw. I start it every spring and have had no problems in 12 yrs. I should have run the gas out though.