What kind of synthetic oil?

Discussion in 'General Outdoor Power Forum' started by MH81, Dec 21, 2010.

1. MH81

MH81 Moderator

What kind of Synthetic oil is your favorite & why?

2. bhts

bhts Member

That's a good question.I don't use Synthetic oil but if i did it would be Valvoline and why because it's all i have ever used.

3. mjodrey

mjodrey Moderator

To me ,that would be Amsoil,because :
    1) My neighbor is an Amsoil dealer.
    2) Amsoil has been into synthetic oils since I believe 1972,they were the first.
    Those are two of my reasons why I like Amsoil.

4. NUTNDUN

NUTNDUN Administrator

I am on the fence with Bob on this one. I have always used Valvoline oil. Along with their synthetic, I think it stems from being a Ford guy maybe? I do however have faith in Amsoil but I haven't bought any in a long time. I do plan on getting some Amsoil in the near future to run in a couple of the tractors.

5. caseguy

caseguy Moderator

Castrol. I have used the GTX for years without any issues. Why change now LOL? That said, I don't think there's a lot of difference between them IMHO.

6. daytime dave

daytime dave Member

I have never used synthetic oil. I don't know much about it or why it may be better. I don't mind paying more if it had better results. I've never been brand specific. I usually get the name brand that is on sale or reasonably priced when I need it.

7. NUTNDUN

NUTNDUN Administrator

For winter time the synthetic oil would definitely be better because it is usually a thinner viscosity. The other benefits of synthetic is they have additives that help keep the parts lubed even after sitting for a while so cold starts are not so hard on the engine.

8. daytime dave

daytime dave Member

I've killed a few walk behind snow blowers at the end of the driveway with plow sludge. I wonder if synthetic would have helped them?