What is the biggest piece of equipment that you ever operated?

Discussion in 'General Outdoor Power Forum' started by NUTNDUN, Oct 27, 2010.

1. NUTNDUN

NUTNDUN Administrator

I think it is a good question. My problem is I don't know what piece of equipment would be considered the biggest.

One would be a Caterpillar D8, another would be a Cat Pan but I don't know the model number of it. Also a Euclid dump. That was when I worked in construction. Now I work for a place that sells construction supplies. LOL

2. caseguy

caseguy Member

On a daily basis I drive a JLG 60' boom manlift that is 22' long closed and weighs in at 35, 000 lbs. We also have a diesel ram that weighs in at 70, 000 lbs and the cab is 6' off the ground. But the biggest, although I'm not sure it qualifies as "outdoor power equipment" would be the 120' span 40 ton capacity overhead crane that weighs over 300, 000 lbs.

3. caseguy

caseguy Member

At home, I have an International TD340 "bulldozer". I made that a parenthetical statement because it has a Drott bucket on the front that works like an FEL, but splits open like a clam-shell and doubles as a dozer blade. It's on tracks, has a rear set of 16" sub-soilers, is about 14' long, and weighs somewhere around 8000 lbs. (enough that when I backed it off of MH81's trailer, the rear wheels of the F250 super duty lifted about a foot off of the ground LOL!)

4. mjodrey

mjodrey Moderator

The biggest,hhmmm I don't know,I guess probably a Clark Michigan 125 Loader.

5. NUTNDUN

NUTNDUN Administrator

Sounds like a quick easy way to change tires on the truck while unloading to me LOL

6. olcowhand

olcowhand New Member

I guess it would be our John Deere 7700 combine. Our MF2745's weigh in at 16 grand, but with a tank of manure behind one, the whole thing weighs 45 grand. I've also been pulled backwards down a hillside by one of those loads of crap! Great reason to change ones underwear!

7. olcowhand

olcowhand New Member

caseguy...your TD340 must not have the counterweights on the rear? Mine has two 600lb IH weights hanging off the back. It puts my T340 at 9,400lbs.

8. MH81

MH81 Member

He's never put it on scales, but it's near the heaviest thing that's been on that trailer. I've never had that rig so much as twitch before, but when we backed the 340 off, it pushed the back end of the trailer down enough to lift the front of the trailer and the rear end of the Ford off the ground. Changed my shorts then.

9. NUTNDUN

NUTNDUN Administrator

I have hauled many over sized loads when working construction and also with my own tractor trailer when I had the business. Some of them loads totaled out over 100,000 gvw.

10. caseguy

caseguy Member

LOL! That's a lot of crap Dan!

11. mjodrey

mjodrey Moderator

I would have said that's a load of crap.[​IMG]:D:D

12. DH1

DH1 New Member

I guess it's the boom truck I drive at work 97 Western Star tri-axle, grosses out at 86,000 lbs.
    They also have a Mack, 4 axles that one grosses out at 99,000 lbs, I was in that one today.

13. NUTNDUN

NUTNDUN Administrator

I think it is weird the weight law differences. I don't know exactly what tri-axles are allowed to gross here but it isn't near that. Our class A tractor trailers are only allowed to gross 80,000 without a permit.

14. DH1

DH1 New Member

I've heard that before, there are 3 other tri-axles that deliver for the co. all are new this year, all gross out 86,000lbs,
    2 are configured the same as the one I drive, and the trucks they replaced were the same configuration as well.
    They tell me 86,000lbs for a tri-axle is the limit up here.
    The Mack has 1 front steer, then 1 drop, then 2 drive, then 1 drop, was originally a logging truck.

15. bhts

bhts Member

Does a concrete plant count.A cat 966 wheel loader and when the neighbor put in a pond he let me run the trackhoe some.Those where the biggest i remember.

16. daytime dave

daytime dave Member

Haven't had much of any time in large equipment. I drove our fire trucks a few times, but not often. The tele squirt truck was the largest thing I have driven and operated.