What configuration

Discussion in 'Log Splitter Forum' started by mjodrey, Oct 20, 2010.

1. mjodrey

mjodrey Moderator

Is your log splitter vertical or horizontal ?

2. caseguy

caseguy Member

...or both

3. Bolens 1000

Bolens 1000 Member

Those new splitters are nice to use. Some have the option of switching from horizontal to vertical

4. mjodrey

mjodrey Moderator

Yeah,I forgot about them.

5. mjodrey

mjodrey Moderator

Does it stand alone or is it a 3pt hitch type ?

6. mjodrey

mjodrey Moderator

How about this:Is it homemade or factory built ?

7. caseguy

caseguy Member

Well, I don't have one yet. I have some pieces parts that I intend to turn into one eventually. I have a small pump, a tank, and an 8HP Horizontal shaft Briggs engine. I'm still looking for just the right "I" beam. (actually a 6" wide-flange beam would be ideal) I want to make it convertible from horizontal to vertical. Still working out the details though. (Does this sound like a common thread with me...or what LOL)

8. mjodrey

mjodrey Moderator

It does "ring a bell".LOL

9. MH81

MH81 Member

I think that's a malady many of us suffer from.

10. NUTNDUN

NUTNDUN Administrator

I don't have my own log splitter but I can borrow one from work whenever I need it. The one we have at work is both a horizontal and vertical. It isn't a real strong one though. I think it is a 9hp Honda on it. I would like to get our own splitter though if we keep getting firewood like we have been.

11. mjodrey

mjodrey Moderator

Is is great to have your own stuff,and not have to "beg,borrow,or steal",or rent.:D

12. caseguy

caseguy Member

Amen to that!

13. mjodrey

mjodrey Moderator

Not to say that it is a bad thing to borrow,sometimes you have no choice.

14. caseguy

caseguy Member

...and another Amen to that too!

15. NUTNDUN

NUTNDUN Administrator

Yep, I hate having to borrow things but sometimes you have no choice. Now borrowing work equipment that don't bother me one bit other then not knowing for sure if you will be able to borrow it because a customer actually paid to rent it LOL

16. caseguy

caseguy Member

Most of the reason for me wanting to build one is that I don't think you get a good value these days. They want astronomical money for chintzy pieces of equipment. I know that for the same money and my own elbow grease, I can build a machine that is far superior in quality and durability.

17. mjodrey

mjodrey Moderator

I agree with your reasoning.