What configuration do you have?

Discussion in 'Weed Trimmer Forum' started by caseguy, Oct 11, 2010.

1. caseguy

caseguy Moderator

Is your trimmer a straight shaft or bent? Is it a single line feed or double? Does it have a gear driven head or is it driven right off the flex shaft? 2 cycle or 4? Bump feed or automatic?

2. caseguy

caseguy Moderator

I have a bent shaft, direct drive, bump feed, dual line, 2 cycle. I'm not tall, so the bent shaft works out better for me. The bent shaft models are almost always directly driven from the flex shaft. Mine was sold with the single feed head, but being a 2 cycle, it has more than enough power to turn a dual line feed head, so that's what I run on it. I also prefer the bump feed style as they don't seem to waste as much line.

3. mjodrey

mjodrey Moderator

Mine has a straight shaft.It has the double line,and it is a gear drive head.The engine is 2 cycle,and it is bump feed.

4. Bolens 1000

Bolens 1000 Moderator

My JD is straight shaft with bump feed line. Double line aslo
    I have other various weed whackers as well (trash finds LOL)

5. MH81

MH81 Moderator

Just threw away the last of my gas weed whackers.
    2 McCullough "Eager Beaver" units.
    Worst-starting things I've ever owned.
    I've switched to Round-Up everywhere and an electric trimmer for around the house.

6. mjodrey

mjodrey Moderator

I forgot to mention,mine also has the blade attachment.

7. caseguy

caseguy Moderator

Those are nice until you hit something solid. Then...OUCH!

8. mjodrey

mjodrey Moderator

Yeah,tell me about it.:eek:

9. NUTNDUN

NUTNDUN Administrator

Alright on a joking side it is funny seeing all this talk of bent shaft or straight shaft and then there is also mention of "Eager Beavers" LMAO

On a serious note mine is bent, likes to be bumped and has a flex shaft haha.

10. NUTNDUN

NUTNDUN Administrator

Seriously though it is a bent shaft, has the flex line, and it is a 4 stroke. It seems to lack a little power compared to a 2 cycle but it gets the job done. I forgot though that it is a two line feed.

11. mjodrey

mjodrey Moderator

Is that right .:D

12. caseguy

caseguy Moderator

ROFL!! Don't they all?

Only when not in use though I hope!

13. NUTNDUN

NUTNDUN Administrator

LOL, look how quickly that got turned around.

14. MH81

MH81 Moderator

Thank you for not bringing up the "whackers" in several posts... oops.

15. NUTNDUN

NUTNDUN Administrator

16. mjodrey

mjodrey Moderator

Just shows you where our minds are.LOL

17. DH1

DH1 New Member

I think the best line trimmer configuration is> 2 stroke, straight shaft, with clutch, 2 line manual feed head.

18. beastmaster

beastmaster New Member

I am a weed eating fool. I do a lot of weed abatement work. I have two straight shaft, 2 strokes. Bump heads all the way, so I don't have to be wasting time changing string every 5 min. I have one walk behind, 5.5 hp 4 stroke, with 4 .155 strings coming off the head. It's a weed eating beast.
    I also like to run the Rino Tuff 3 swing blade cutter if there are no rocks around. Sweet.

19. NUTNDUN

NUTNDUN Administrator

I just bought a new Stihl FS90 trimmer. I just got the loop handle because it was cheaper and for the little bit that I use it around the house and having to get between the trees it works out better.

We needed a new trimmer as the Troy-Bilt I bought at Lowes a couple of years finally refused to start after numerous cleanings of the carb. It lacked power and just wasn't worth firing up. The new trimmer is a straight shaft and has plenty of power for what we use it for.

20. NUTNDUN

NUTNDUN Administrator

I forgot to add that I like the auto feed bump style heads also. I did get one of the three plastic blade heads to try also.