What are your thoughts on four stroke / four cycle engines for outdoor power equipment?

Discussion in 'General Outdoor Power Forum' started by NUTNDUN, Dec 17, 2010.

1. NUTNDUN

NUTNDUN Administrator

I wanted to see what some of you thought about the performance of outdoor power equipment that normally was powered by two stroke engines but because of emissions are now powered by four strokes?

It is hard to beat a two stroke for the power to weight ratio, I think we can all agree on that. Now take for instance a piece of equipment that weight isn't so much an issue. Maybe a weed trimmer or weed whacker for instance. We have one that has a two stroke and one is a four stroke and it is kind of hard to tell much of a difference other then the sound. The four stroke sounds like it is going to blow but seems to make just as much power.

The one big thing I do like about the four stroke / four cycle is that you don't have to mix gas. Just check the oil level like anything else and top it off with gas and go.

2. mjodrey

mjodrey Moderator

I don't have too much opinion on it.I like the old two strokes,but like you said about the four strokes,it's nice not to have to mix the gas.

3. Bolens 1000

Bolens 1000 Member

I actually enjoy mixing the gas LOL

I love my 2 stroke engines...
    I think we can all agree that 2 stroke fumes smell good too :)

4. caseguy

caseguy Member

I don't own any of the "new fangled" four stroke stuff LOL! My trimmers, my vac/blower, and my chain saw are al 2 strokes.

5. daytime dave

daytime dave Member

I don't have any either. I don't mind mixing the gas.

6. NUTNDUN

NUTNDUN Administrator

I don't mind mixing gas either. I think part of it is because of having the chain saws and other two stroke equipment kind of makes it mandatory. I do have to admit that I love the smell of a two stroke.

I also think it is amazing the technology they have in the new chainsaws to help keep emissions down. Ya they have gained a little weight but they have also become a little more fuel efficient and they are still easy to mod.

7. daytime dave

daytime dave Member

My chainsaws are all at least 10 years old. Don't use them very often in suburbia. Not often at dad's place either.

8. NUTNDUN

NUTNDUN Administrator

I didn't have a use for chain saws either until we moved to the new place. Now we are planning on getting an outside wood burner for next year. So I bought a chain saw and got about 20 cord cut this past summer / fall. Buying one chain saw let to another addiction and now I have two smaller Dolmars to accompany the Stihl MS362 :D

9. daytime dave

daytime dave Member

:D:D:D I'll bet they get used with 20 cord!

10. NUTNDUN

NUTNDUN Administrator

They did this year. I don't think I will be able to cut that much wood next year. That was quite the workout and we still have over half of it left to split. I don't think it is getting split anytime soon though LOL.

11. bhts

bhts Member

I will stick with the tried and true two stroke more power.

12. DH1

DH1 New Member

For a push mower (not that I use one) 4 stroke the best, no stink +quieter.
    At the landscaper I worked for they had backpack blowers, 2 strokes, they bought 1, 4 stroke and I hated it, did the job but the engine fires 1/2 as many times a second as a 2 stroke, it drowns because of this, you feel it right through your chest. 2 stroke way better here.
    Any small gas powered tool you hold with your hands, chain saw, line trimmer, hedge clipper, quick cut saw, drill, whatever 2 stroke better IMO.

13. NUTNDUN

NUTNDUN Administrator

That is a good point Doug, the two strokes are a lot smoother and easier on the hands.

14. MH81

MH81 Member

I agree, on the other hand... I have never worn out a 2 cycle weed eater. I'v had a few I've thrown away because I can't stand not having them run (carb probs) Maybe if they made 4 cycle weedeaters, I'd have them for longer.

15. NUTNDUN

NUTNDUN Administrator

They do have four cycle wee eaters. I have one. It is a Troy-Bilt. It is ok but like I have mentioned it just doesn't have the same power as the two cycles do.

16. mjodrey

mjodrey Moderator

:D:D:D:D I've never seen a wee eater,they're tiny right .:D:D :D:D LOL

17. MH81

MH81 Member

Actually I think they're little goats.