Steam powered riding mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mower Forum' started by mjodrey, Oct 10, 2010.

1. mjodrey

mjodrey Moderator

Has anyone ever heard of such a thing,I hadn't.
    [​IMG]
    This was built by British Anzani Engine Company Ltd. It is a steam powered lawn mower,I do not have anymore details at the moment.I actually have my doubts that this one is steam powered,but that's what the caption said.

Here is one more photo,and this one has a spark plug so it must be gas powered.
    [​IMG]

2. Bolens 1000

Bolens 1000 Member

Never seen anything like that before...
    My eye caught the Bolens on the top left hand side LOL

3. mjodrey

mjodrey Moderator

I knew that it would.LOL

4. caseguy

caseguy Member

ADDICT! LOL

5. Bolens 1000

Bolens 1000 Member

I cant argue with that :D

6. mjodrey

mjodrey Moderator

Ok, this one is really steam powered.I don't think I would want to mow my lawns with this one.

Steam powered lawn mowers like the one pictured here were built in Newburgh, New York in the beginning of the 20th century.
    [​IMG]
    Steam Powered Lawnmower

The boiler is a liquid fuel fired vertical-firetube type jacketed in copper with a copper smoke cone and chimney, which supplies a small vertical double simple-expansion steam engine, (visible at far left) approximately 2″ bore x 4″ stroke, with two bar guides, link reverse and crosshead driven boiler feed pumps.
    The engine and boiler are mounted between steel arched frames which also carry a copper twin tank for water and fuel, with the driver’s seat on top. Roller chains (missing in this picture) drive a jackshaft and separate drives go to the mowing reel and the large under-roll; a small outrigger roll is provided at the engine end of the frame. Forward movement is to the right of the picture. Steering is by tiller in this version. The steam engine has a copper steam-jacket, and ball-bearing big-ends, and is of steam automobile style. The mowing reel cuts a 40″ swath. At one time Coldwell steam mowers were in use on the White House lawns.
    Obviously these things have long since been replaced by gasoline powered engines and have rendered steam powered lawn mowers completely obsolete.
    [​IMG]

7. Bolens 1000

Bolens 1000 Member

Thanks for posting that.
    It's amazing to see how mowers evolved over the years

8. mjodrey

mjodrey Moderator

Yes it certainly is.

9. NUTNDUN

NUTNDUN Administrator

I wonder how that thing did on hills? Seems like it would get stuck pretty easy just from the shear weight of it. I also wonder how well it striped the grass since it has a solid roller, probably actually did pretty good.

10. caseguy

caseguy Member

That's exactly what I was thinking! If it was wet AT ALL that thing would make some hellatious ruts!

11. mjodrey

mjodrey Moderator

I bet if you used that on your lawn,you'd have to re-landscape.

12. earthgrinder

earthgrinder dirt digger

Looks like the one at Kinzers.

13. MH81

MH81 Member

Seems both uncomfortably hot & a potential design flaw. ;)

14. Yes, but you could roll and mow your yard at the same time...

15. MH81

MH81 Member

So you're not actually mowing, it's more shoving the grass back into the ground? LOL

16. mjodrey

mjodrey Moderator

I guess you'd be right there.LOL