Power equipment safety

Discussion in 'General Outdoor Power Forum' started by NUTNDUN, Dec 4, 2010.

1. NUTNDUN

NUTNDUN Administrator

I thought a discussion on outdoor power equipment safety might be a good idea. I know I slack a lot of times when it comes to wearing protective gear. Mainly when I am using a grinder I tend to forget to put safety glasses on. You would think with how many times I have gone to the hospital or eye doctor to get a piece of metal drilled out of my eye I would do better with this.

I have noticed that I have gotten a lot better with this. Now when it comes to the chain saws, I always have ear protection on but I need to get a fallers helmet and some chaps.

2. Bolens 1000

Bolens 1000 Member

Yeah, I think we have all slacked on some safety things here and there.
    I for one need to get better at wearing more protective gear when I'm using the chain saw.

3. NUTNDUN

NUTNDUN Administrator

I would love to get a pair of chaps and I should. I just don't have the extra money right now to buy a pair. I know my appendages are worth more then what the price of chaps cost. The biggest thing with chain saw safety is to always know where the tip of the bar is at all times and to make sure that you have your thumb wrapped around the top bar to prevent loosing your grip on a kickback situation.

4. mjodrey

mjodrey Moderator

Yes I have taken shortcuts in wearing protective gear at times,I think everyone has probably done that at times.

5. caseguy

caseguy Member

I have been to the eye doctor NUMEROUS times to have metal dug out of my eyes. Even when I do wear my PPE. Last week I got a shard stuck in my eye past my glasses and my face shield. It will not stop me from wearing it though!

6. mjodrey

mjodrey Moderator

Yeah,getting metal in your eyes is not fun,nor is having it taken out.I seem to get my share of metal filings get in eyes even with a face shield.I think they must bounce up under the bottom edge.

7. NUTNDUN

NUTNDUN Administrator

It does suck when you do have the proper safety gear on and metal still gets in your eye(s).

The first time I had to get metal drilled out of my one eye, I was doing work out of town in Ohio. I had safety glasses and my welding shield on. Somehow a piece still made it into my one eye. I think it was when I took my welding helmet off and a piece bounced off of my safety glasses and into my eye.

It is weird though when they put the orangeish numbing solution in your eye and then when they are poking around it is like you are under water looking up through to the sun LOL

8. caseguy

caseguy Member

LOL! That's a really good analogy!

One time while welding at work with one of the old style flip up hoods (We use only auto darkening now) I was chipping slag and had a piece got through the tiny little hole between the nose piece and the lens frame and lodged in the little mucous membrane in the corner of my eye. The worst part was hearing it sizzle when it hit! Alan swears that I have magnetic eyeballs LOL!