Pics of the wood pile.

Discussion in 'Chain Saw Forum' started by NUTNDUN, Oct 6, 2010.

1. NUTNDUN

NUTNDUN Administrator

I figured I would post some pics of our wood pile. I have been cutting firewood with a guy I met on another forum. We have been finding free firewood on craigslist adds. I don't have any pics since the most recent haul but we are getting a good bit of wood.

We are probably going to be close to 20 cords of wood after we haul the last couple of loads if not more.

DSC_0345.jpg DSC_0346.jpg DSC_0349.jpg

2. Bolens 1000

Bolens 1000 Moderator

Nice!
    Is that Ash wood?

3. NUTNDUN

NUTNDUN Administrator

It is a whole mixed bag. There is oak, sweet gum, maple, and a little ash. After all who doesn't like a little ash every once in a while. :D

4. mjodrey

mjodrey Moderator

I am not familiar with sweet gum.

5. NUTNDUN

NUTNDUN Administrator

I know it isn't easy to split. The grain is very twisted.

6. caseguy

caseguy Moderator

This may sound like a stupid question, but what does the sweet gum smell like? A friend of mine has a pile of wood that he got for free and the grain was gnarly and twisted...but it smelled like a wet, very used, horse blanket!

7. NUTNDUN

NUTNDUN Administrator

I don't know if it smells that bad LOL. I don't know how to describe the smell of it. It does have more of a pugnant smell to it. The other thing I noticed is when it is fresh cut it is a whiter wood and the center has like a black walnut colored ring to it.

8. mjodrey

mjodrey Moderator

Interesting.