Is your lawn mower self propelled?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mower Forum' started by NUTNDUN, Oct 6, 2010.

1. NUTNDUN

NUTNDUN Administrator

If you have a push mower is it self propelled or operator propelled LOL.

2. mjodrey

mjodrey Moderator

Yes I have a self propelled John Deere but I will have to go out and look to see what model it is.

3. mjodrey

mjodrey Moderator

This post is just to see if I could post an image on here.This is a 1957 self propelled reel mower,don't know the brand.
    [​IMG]

4. NUTNDUN

NUTNDUN Administrator

That is the first self propelled push type reel mower i have ever seen.

5. mjodrey

mjodrey Moderator

I have a buddy who has two of them,but they don't look like that one,they look more like this one.
    [​IMG]

6. NUTNDUN

NUTNDUN Administrator

That's pretty wild, never seen one before. I seen them gas powered before but not gas powered and self propelled.

7. mjodrey

mjodrey Moderator

They are pretty neat.

8. Bolens 1000

Bolens 1000 Member

Wow, never seen one of them before

9. caseguy

caseguy Member

I can't even look at one of those without thinking about the film "Lawnmower Man" by Stephen King LOL!

10. caseguy

caseguy Member

I have a "collection" of older push mowers. No two are the same and none of them have run in quite a while. I didn't intend to have a "collection" of them, they just seem to find me! BTW my lawnmowers are all propelled by self. My-self that is.

11. jdslednut

jdslednut New Member

The one I do the trimming with is a self-propelled JD I picked up at an auction a couple of years ago. It's got every little feature - 5 speeds, blade clutch, electric start. It's a garden tractor wannabe. I also have an old Pincor reel type at my parents' house that's a pretty cool little machine.

12. caseguy

caseguy Member

Never heard of a Pincor. You should post some pics.

13. mjodrey

mjodrey Moderator

Yes pictures would great as I have not seen a Pincor either.

14. jdslednut

jdslednut New Member

I'll have to get some next time I make it to their place.

15. DH1

DH1 New Member

I have one push mower I got at a yard sale 6,7 yrs ago for $15.00, it's not self propelled, I don't know what make it is, has a B&S motor, it's gray, I never use it, I don't even know if it runs.
    If I can't get to the grass with the 3wheeler it doesn't get cut. I do trim with the line trimmer around the house though.

16. daytime dave

daytime dave Member

I used to use this John Deere self propelled. It was retired to camp.[​IMG]

I bought this new Toro Super recycler to replace the John Deere. Like night and day.
    [​IMG]

17. mjodrey

mjodrey Moderator

I like that John Deere.

18. caseguy

caseguy Member

Like night and day you like the Toro better? ...or you like the JD better? Sorry having one of those "daft" moments LOL!

19. daytime dave

daytime dave Member

There is no comparison in my book. I guess I didn't write that too well. The Toro is by far a superior product. The Deere was a good unit, but it kept getting really clogged, even in normal grass. The Deere and the Toro were the same price too. The only feature that I miss from the Deere are the tight turn front wheels. It didn't take long to re-adapt to the normal fixed front wheels though. The Toro has a hose wash out port that works very well. It's on the other side. I also prefer the aluminum deck to steel.

20. caseguy

caseguy Member

I have looked at the Toro's before and thought they were well built, but I'll probably not buy another "new" mower as long as I can still find 2 cycle lawn boys still around! All I use it for is cutting hillsides and the 4 cycles only last a couple of years doing that.