Ingersoll rand type 30 model 57t 80 gallon air compressor.

Discussion in 'Shop Equipment' started by NUTNDUN, Feb 20, 2011.

1. NUTNDUN

NUTNDUN Administrator

For those that may have seen my post on the other forum I figured I would put it here also. I have been on the search for a shop air compressor for a little while now. The problem is the lack of funds which I think a lot of people can relate to.

I was planning on getting a new one and just saving up for it and pretty much had the choice narrowed down to Polar Air by Eaton Compressor. Their price per volume of air supply is preaty much unbeatable. It was going to take me a long time to save up for the one I wanted which was around $1,600. A couple of weeks ago I ended up doing a search on Craigslist and found an old 80 gallon compressor. Going by the pic it wasn't in bad shape and it needed a motor which was fine by me considering I only wanted single phase and don't want to have to bother with a phase converter.

My dad and I went to look at it and figured it would work and brought it home with us. It wasn't bad loading it as the guy had a gantry crane that he used to load it on the back of my pickup. It was getting it off the truck at the house that was going to be a challenge. We took the flywheel off, unbolted the compressor and set that down on the top of two rims and tires stacked up so we didn't have to bend over so far. Once the pump was off we were able to slide the tank to the back of the tailgate and let the one end down to the ground and pick the back end up off the truck and set it down.

DSC_0188.JPG DSC_0189.JPG DSC_0190.JPG
    DSC_0191.JPG DSC_0192.JPG

2. NUTNDUN

NUTNDUN Administrator

Everything worked out great disassembling it considering we had a good bit of cleaning to do as well as pressure testing it to make sure the tank was going to be safe.

We tested the tank pressure with water so it would be safer. Started by filling the tank completely full of water and then I had a ball valve to be able to control the amount of pressure from the pressure washer. My goal is to run the compressor at a max of around 145 psi. So we tested it to 260 psi which gives us a safety margin of 1.79 and also meets the 1.4 safety factor if we were to ever run it at 175 psi.

Here are some pics from the pressure testing and the washing.

DSC_0188.JPG DSC_0189.JPG DSC_0195.JPG
    DSC_0196.JPG DSC_0197.JPG DSC_0198.JPG
    DSC_0199.JPG

3. NUTNDUN

NUTNDUN Administrator

Thanks to caseguy for the manual he found for the compressor and some digging up on other information it is confirmed that it is from 1968. I still need to buy an electric motor for it and will once a couple of things sell and I have the money. In the meantime I took the opportunity to paint the tank and compressor while it was stripped down.

I got everything put back together that I can until I get the other misc items that I need to finish it up like the motor, pressure switch and manifold block. I also want to put in new pressure release safety valves. I know it is not going to be fun setting this thing in place. Anyway here are the pics of the compressor and tank all painted up.

DSC_0248.JPG DSC_0249.JPG DSC_0250.JPG
    DSC_0251.JPG DSC_0252.JPG

4. mjodrey

mjodrey Moderator

Man ,that is looking good George.

5. daytime dave

daytime dave Member

Looks great George. Looks very heavy too.

6. NUTNDUN

NUTNDUN Administrator

I haven't decided how we are going to set it in place yet. We are going to put it in the far left corner along the wall. Then the sandblast cabinet and parts washer is going to go beside it. I would rather put it outside but then that means we gotta pour a slab under the one deck and build an enclosure to keep the weather off of it while also making sure it has enough air to keep cool.

Since we pressure tested it I feel safe having it in the garage with us and it will be quieter then the old compressor so it will be alright other then the space it is going to take up.

I was thinking about borrowing a cherry picker to set it in place, either that or have my one friend who has one of those forklifts that ride on the back of a flatbed trailer set it in place for me. I could also build a set of forks for the Massey 1655 and put it in place with the 3pt but I think I would have to pull the pump back off to make it light enough that it would lift it.

7. mjodrey

mjodrey Moderator

I know you are probably aware of this,but make sure when you set it up that you DON'T level it. leave the end with the drain a tad lower than the other end.It only needs to be a fraction of an inch though,but I would most likely have it at 1/2 inch difference.

8. NUTNDUN

NUTNDUN Administrator

I forget what the drain pipe rule is for regular drain pipe. Something like a 1/4" every 3'?

9. mjodrey

mjodrey Moderator

Yeah,something like that.

10. Bolens 1000

Bolens 1000 Member

That turned out Great

11. NUTNDUN

NUTNDUN Administrator

As long as getting the motor and other required stuff doesn't put me in the poorhouse it will be alright LOL.

12. caseguy

caseguy Member

In the end, although I know you're hoping it doesn't end up this way, even if you sink $1500 into this unit, It'll be 3 times what you could outright buy for that kind of money! That's just my $.02, but I think you'll be really happy with it when it's done.

13. NUTNDUN

NUTNDUN Administrator

I think you are right Steve. I just had high hopes of getting by on the cheap so I had money left over to do a sandblast cabinet.

14. NUTNDUN

NUTNDUN Administrator

I figured I better update this post also. I ordered the motor for the compressor and a magnetic motor starter. The motor is a 7.5hp 1740 rpm Baldor single phase and the starter box I got from Grainger and I believe it is made by Eaton. They had it one clearance and I got it for $103 shipped and I think it was normally $439.

15. NUTNDUN

NUTNDUN Administrator

The dilemma I am having now is whether or not to pour a slab under the deck outside of the garage to put the compressor or put it in the inside corner of the garage.

The benefits of having it outside would be:
    • No noise in the garage, but this is kind of a null point since it will be quieter then that oilless one I have now.
    • Bigger safety factor if the tank ever exploded.
    • Wouldn't take up any room in the garage.
    Benefits of having it in the garage:
    • Less work to install it and cheaper too, ie; no cement to pour, and less wiring, less air piping
    • Better chance of it being better maintained since it is right there
    • Wouldn't have as much of a temperature affect on it which should mean less condensation
    • It's been pressure tested up to 260 psi so I think it is safe

16. Bolens 1000

Bolens 1000 Member

I think you will be happy with it in the garage.

My Grandfather had a compressor slightly smaller than the one you have and he had it in the basement and ran lines into the garage. It was really nice. Never even heard the motor running.

IMO... I dont think I would put it outside.

17. NUTNDUN

NUTNDUN Administrator

I figured I better update my thread here as well with the most recent progress on the compressor.

We got it set in place and bolted down. Also got the pump set back on and bolted tight. Added the new 60 amp breaker and ran the wiring over to about where the motor starter box will be.

The motor was delivered today and there is a good chance the starter box will be here today also.

Here are some pics.

ForumRunner_20110228_145943.png ForumRunner_20110228_150103.png ForumRunner_20110228_150132.png

18. Bolens 1000

Bolens 1000 Member

Your making good headway George

19. daytime dave

daytime dave Member

Looking good in it's new spot.

20. mjodrey

mjodrey Moderator

That is coming right along George.