I have no business tearing into it like i did

Discussion in 'Rototiller Forum' started by daytime dave, Mar 26, 2012.

  1. daytime dave

    daytime dave Member

    I purchased a Sears rear tine tiller with dual rotating tines last fall off Craiglist. It said make offer, brand new, never used. Upon inspection, it was brand new. Gentleman said his friend worked at Sears and this one was a display model. He thought he was going to put in a garden, but never did. When he started it, that smoke from a new engine came out of the exhaust. He stated he had never started it either. The paint had nary a scratch on it. No dirt had ever touched the tines.

    I got it home, fired it up and began to play with it in the back yard. I was tilling under the fall plants when the tines stopped turning. Hmmmm, first, check the shear bolts, ok both are intact. Next I took the cover off the belt. Nothing there. Oh well, I took the tines off to get a better handle on things and to my surprise :eek:, the tine axle slid right out. A quick check of the parts manual showed what it should have looked like. The weld had failed after about sixty seconds of work in easy soil.

    I contacted Sears, I've had great customer service from them in the past. They said there was a two year warranty, but the serial number put it 6 months out of warranty. I have never tackled such a project, but there is always a first time. I ordered the part, but as winter set in, I had to move the Elec Trak E20 into my small garage. That took up a lot of space. It was pretty tight and pretty cold.

    Now it's March and we have just had two weeks of 60's, 70's and even three days of low 80's. Do you think I had any time off then, nope. Today was high of 37 and full sun. I moved out a few things, fired up the kerosene heater and got started. I took pictures, not so much to post, but keep track of what went where. I had a bad setting on the camera, so most of them are badly colored.

    IMG_2814.JPG IMG_2815.JPG

    This was what I started with.

    IMG_2817.JPG IMG_2818.JPG IMG_2819.JPG

    Progress is being made.

    IMG_2820.JPG IMG_2821.JPG

    It wasn't bad getting to the above point. Now it gets a bit more interesting.

    IMG_2822.JPG IMG_2824.JPG

    Lots of places for me to mess up is what I was thinking.

    IMG_2825.JPG

    New part installed. Now time to reverse and put it back together.
    How did it come out, out of file size. Next post will show the results.
     
  2. daytime dave

    daytime dave Member

    It came out better than I expected. The transmission was a little temperamental until it got used a bit. At least it ran. I was pretty happy when 60 seconds of use came and went.

    IMG_2831.JPG


    This was the only picture that was not too large for uploading.

    I was very happy that I could make the repair myself. I've never tried anything like that before. I've always hired out repairs. Pretty soon I may tackle an engine. Of course one I already have that doesn't run, I don't want one to crap out.

    Overall, a great experience. I could see disaster looming when I separated the two halves.

    A new post for Spring, as it seems it was pretty slow here this winter.
     
  3. mjodrey

    mjodrey Moderator

    I was slow here this Winter.I am hoping it will pick up now.
     
  4. NUTNDUN

    NUTNDUN Administrator

    Wow Dave, that is a nice tiller you got for a good deal. Sucks about the poor welding from the factory but it sounds like you got it under control and tilling away like it should.

    I know we should probably see about getting a walk behind tiller to go between the rows to clear out the weeds once the plants start growing. The garden tractors are a little too wide.
     
  5. mjodrey

    mjodrey Moderator

    "I have no business tearing into it like I did."

    Dave,you're being too hard on yourself.
     

Share This Page