I finally built a workbench.

Discussion in 'Shop Equipment' started by NUTNDUN, Mar 20, 2011.

1. NUTNDUN

NUTNDUN Administrator

I have been wanting to build a workbench for a while now. We do have a smaller one that is around 2' x 5' that is mounted up against the wall between our toolboxes. I wanted one though that was a little larger and was in the bay without the garage door and up against the pole that the air line runs down.

Now that the air compressor is finished other then tracing down an air leak or two, I spent the day yesterday building a new workbench. I will take some pics after the last coats of poly are finished drying. We had some 4" x 4" pressure treated that the previous homeowner left here. I used those for the legs. I went to Lowes and got one piece of regular 3/4" hardwood plywood and I also got one piece of 3/4" oak hardwood plywood for the top. I got some 2" x 4" for around the perimeter at the top and bottom. I also got 1" x 4" oak trim pieces to go around the plywood top.

The workbench is 3' x 6'. I cut both of the pieces of plywood to size and the plan was to have three layers of plywood for the top which was accomplished with the cutoff pieces for the middle layer. Once the three layers were in place I then put the oak trim around the perimeter. I am just using a clear gloss urethane to seal the wood and keep oil and grease from getting in to it and to be easily cleanable.

2. daytime dave

daytime dave Member

Sounds like a great project George. Looking forward to the pictures.

3. mjodrey

mjodrey Moderator

Sounds good George.

4. NUTNDUN

NUTNDUN Administrator

I put the fourth coat of urethane on it last night. I didn't sand between coats like you should to get that perfectly smooth finish. I just mainly wanted to keep the oil, dirt and grease out of it. Seems like it should, until I start marring it from hammer on stuff and dropping stuff LOL

I will try and get pics of it tonight. I want to run electric to it and put an outlet underneath the table top for power tools. I also need to get a big vise and bench top grinder. Only problem is this stuff costs money and I am plain out of it LOL

5. mjodrey

mjodrey Moderator

Can't wait to see pics.

6. NUTNDUN

NUTNDUN Administrator

I got one pic of it last night when I was taking pics of the transmission from the Massey 12G.
    DSC_0251.JPG

7. daytime dave

daytime dave Member

It looks great George. Very nice workmanship. Good job. Shop is looking good. Ready for anything.

8. NUTNDUN

NUTNDUN Administrator

Thanks Dave.

I have a lot of stuff on the want list which will come in due time and will have to wait until the funds are available. The next thing on the list to get though is either buy or build a sandblast cabinet. I would like to do it before too long because I would like to restore a couple tractors this year.

I would still love to get a milling/lathe combo machine at some point in my life but I think that is a couple years down the road. After the sandblast cabinet I think a plasma cutter would be next on the list.

9. mjodrey

mjodrey Moderator

That looks great George.

10. Bolens 1000

Bolens 1000 Member

Looks Good George

11. NUTNDUN

NUTNDUN Administrator

I am afraid to mess it up LOL. I am sure in another couple weeks I will be a little more brave and start using the workbench for what it was made for. In the meantime it has just become a shelf to store stuff on LOL.

12. Bolens 1000

Bolens 1000 Member

so... Does the bench still look that clean? LOL

13. NUTNDUN

NUTNDUN Administrator

Ummmmm,............ no :D

14. mjodrey

mjodrey Moderator

I would hope not:),I mean clean is good,but it should look like you are using it.:D:D

15. NUTNDUN

NUTNDUN Administrator

There is a good bit of stuff on it right now. I do need to clean it off so I have more room to work. Now that the chicken coop is out of the garage I can get back to working on the garden tractors and restoring the Cub 122 :D

16. Bolens 1000

Bolens 1000 Member

Restoring a Cub?

Why not the Bolens 1000? :D

17. NUTNDUN

NUTNDUN Administrator

The Cub isn't really getting restored. Well I guess it is but it is being made in to a pulling tractor for my little girl.

Dad does want to do the Bolens 1000 next though.

18. Bolens 1000

Bolens 1000 Member

Nice!

We are going to need some pics of both when they are done :D

19. mjodrey

mjodrey Moderator

Yeah,that right.:D

20. NUTNDUN

NUTNDUN Administrator

I promise I will take pics when they are done. I forgot to take pics of the Cub as I was tearing it down. I do have one pic of it posted on GTT when I had it loaded coming home with it.