How does everyone prepare their equipment for winter storage?

Discussion in 'General Outdoor Power Forum' started by mjodrey, Dec 4, 2010.

1. mjodrey

mjodrey Moderator

Just wondering,do you use a fuel stabilizer,a fogger,do you spray anything down the carb to protect the cylinder walls, etc ?

2. NUTNDUN

NUTNDUN Administrator

In all honesty I have always slacked in this department. So far I have usually been lucky as the only pieces of equipment that I have trouble with are the weed trimmers. I guess all of the other equipment gets used enough even though it may be sporadic to not cause any issues. I do try and change the oil in the fall though before storage.

3. Bolens 1000

Bolens 1000 Member

Usually when I put something away for storage I usually drain the gas and run out the carb, or if I leave the gas in I use stabilizer then pour about 1 oz of oil down the cylinder wall and then turn it a few revolutions and leave the piston at the top of the cylinder.

4. caseguy

caseguy Member

I must admit that I am not very dilligent about that either. I did buy a can of seafoam this year, but I don't have any gas to put it in LOL! I'll have to get some soon though.

5. daytime dave

daytime dave Member

I use Stabil towards the end of the season to get it mixed well. I bought some Seafoam, but I have not used it yet.

6. mjodrey

mjodrey Moderator

I have never used Seafoam myself.

7. NUTNDUN

NUTNDUN Administrator

I have never really used any fuel additive although it probably would have made my life a little easier on a few occasions through life. Now with the ethanol gas we are going to start using Seafoam. I guess Stabil is coming out with a new one that is supposed to work better with the ethanol based gas.

8. caseguy

caseguy Member

I'm about half way through my first tank with Seafoam in it. I've also been reading a lot of post over at GTTalk that say to use synthetic oil for winter. I'm gonna give that a try on the Wheel Horse 314. I think I can afford a couple quarts of it.

9. daytime dave

daytime dave Member

Yes, synthetic oil is much more expensive. I recently did oil changes on everything, so let me know how it works if you try it.

10. NUTNDUN

NUTNDUN Administrator

The thinner weight synthetic oil will definitely help in the winter and start covering the essential parts with oil sooner on cold start up. I haven't made the switch to synthetic oil yet but I do plan on it before too long.

11. caseguy

caseguy Member

I stopped by Advance auto parts today and they had their Castrol Syntech 5W30 oil on sale for $4.49 a quart. It's normally $6.49 a quart! I picked up 3 quarts and changed the oil in the 314 today! As an aside, they're regular Castrol GTX is also on sale for 2.99 a quart! I bought a case of that as it is usually $4.49 a quart and that's what I run in the autos!