How do you sharpen your chain?

Discussion in 'Chain Saw Forum' started by NUTNDUN, Oct 9, 2010.

?

What method do you use to sharpen your chains?

1. Hand file

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Hand file with a guide

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Electric chain sharpener

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. Take them to the dealer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Not listed, will post my method.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. NUTNDUN

NUTNDUN Administrator

I wanted to see how everyone sharpens their chains and figured I would post a poll on it. You can choose multiple methods if you like.

2. Bolens 1000

Bolens 1000 Moderator

I use an electric sharpener

3. caseguy

caseguy Moderator

I use a hand file as I find the chains last longer that way.

4. mjodrey

mjodrey Moderator

Ditto,that's how I do it too.

5. caseguy

caseguy Moderator

My FIL, as I have mentioned before does chain saw carving for a living. When he first got started into it, he went out and bought a top of the line Oregon sharpener. He used it a few times and went back to sharpening by hand. He says that as often as he has to sharpen, he'd waste a chain in about a week with the power tool. Instead he gets about 2 months out of one by hand sharpening. He does still use the power sharpener, but only if he tangles with something that gouges the teeth really bad.

6. NUTNDUN

NUTNDUN Administrator

I think hand sharpening is the best way when you just have to touch up the teeth to get it sharp again. Once you hit something and jack the teeth up a good bit it would probably be a good idea to have it sharpened by a nice machine sharpener.

7. olcowhand

olcowhand New Member

I hand sharpen only, even after hitting metal. I don't have an electric sharpener & I'm too cheap to pay someone! LOL

8. mjodrey

mjodrey Moderator

Me too .:D

9. NUTNDUN

NUTNDUN Administrator

If I wasn't able to get the sharpening done for free at work when needed then I would feel the same way. I have yet to use the free service but it is there if I need it.

10. caseguy

caseguy Moderator

My FIL does chain saw carving. He has 30 some saws and probably sharpens the ones he's using twice a day.

11. MH81

MH81 Moderator

My Grandpa bought a Monarch, Silver King Chain Saw in the 50's.. Unit is still in the family. I managed to borrow the manual & scanned it into GT. http://www.gttalk.com/manuals/file-649/ . It has a whole section on proper way to sharpen the OEM chain.

12. Bolens 1000

Bolens 1000 Moderator

Thats a great document.
    Thanks for uploading it

13. MH81

MH81 Moderator

I hope to go thru some filing cabinets this winter. Dad's got a few we don't have yet.

14. Bolens 1000

Bolens 1000 Moderator

could there be any hidden Bolens documents?:)

15. mjodrey

mjodrey Moderator

One could only hope.:)

16. MH81

MH81 Moderator

I don't think we've ever had a Bolens. I do have a MF 8 "Executive" Owner's Manual & some Sears stuff

17. Bolens 1000

Bolens 1000 Moderator

I'm going to give this thread a Bump :D