Graham-paige rototiller

Discussion in 'Rototiller Forum' started by mjodrey, Oct 12, 2010.

1. mjodrey

mjodrey Moderator

I have just been told about a Graham-Paige rototiller not too far from where I live.I don't know if it for sale,but I am going to check it out.
    This is what it should look like.
    [​IMG]

2. Bolens 1000

Bolens 1000 Moderator

Yeah those tillers are pretty neat.

3. mjodrey

mjodrey Moderator

This one is supposed to be in good shape,we'll see what the story is on it.

4. NUTNDUN

NUTNDUN Administrator

Let us know how you make out with it :D

5. mjodrey

mjodrey Moderator

I most certainly will,I'm not even sure that it is for sale.

6. caseguy

caseguy Moderator

When were those built? It's got that 1960's futuristic look to it. Very cool Maynard! Maybe you could try one of Ducky's tricks and get to follow you home?

7. mjodrey

mjodrey Moderator

Well the one pictured is a 1957.

8. MH81

MH81 Moderator

Years ago Dad bought two to make one... He ended up selling them to a neighbor who had more time on his hands. I remember they were HEAVY to load & I think his had some sort of coil spring teeth instead of straight bars.

9. Bolens 1000

Bolens 1000 Moderator

Erie county 2010 005.JPG
    Here's a pic of the one that is at our fair each year

10. mjodrey

mjodrey Moderator

That's really been restored nicely.

11. mjodrey

mjodrey Moderator

Well the old fellow that has it doesn't have it for sale,but he took my phone number and said if he should decide to,he would call me.

12. caseguy

caseguy Moderator

That's better than a "no". There's hope!

13. earthgrinder

earthgrinder dirt digger

The Frazer/Graham-Paige tiller pictured in the first post is mine and was made in 1947. These machines were mass produced from 1946 until around 1950.

http://www.zucksrototillers.com

14. Bolens 1000

Bolens 1000 Moderator

Thanks for that useful info

15. daytime dave

daytime dave Member

There was one on CL near me many months ago. I didn't know what it was so I didn't look at it. Guess I should have. Nice machine earthgrinder.

16. caseguy

caseguy Moderator

That's a great looking machine earthgrinder! You say that it's a Frazer/Graham-Paige, but it has the ROTOTILLER badge on it. What's their connection?

17. earthgrinder

earthgrinder dirt digger

In 1945 CW Kelsey, founder of ROTOTILLER, INC., wanted to make tillers for the home owner and leased the rights to the large commercial machine to Graham-Paige. At the time he was making the B1-3. ROTOTILLER, INC. made 2 prototype B1-4 machines and sent one to Graham-Paige. In 1946 they came out with the B1-6 and later the B1-7. G-P had the right to use the Rototiller badge. ROTOTILLER, INC. then sold tillers under the name of Roto-Ette. In an upcoming issue of LAGC I will have an article on the single wheeled Home Gardener.

18. mjodrey

mjodrey Moderator

That is some good info.

19. caseguy

caseguy Moderator

Thanks! You say that you have an article in an upcoming issue of LAGC? Very cool! Can't wait to see it!

20. earthgrinder

earthgrinder dirt digger

Yes, should be in the March issue.