Generators, which one to buy?

Discussion in 'General Outdoor Power Forum' started by mjodrey, Dec 20, 2010.

1. mjodrey

mjodrey Moderator

Hey guys,Im looking for a little advice.I am in the market for a new generator.I am wondering what brand I should be looking at.

I am kind of thinking about a Wallenstein,my New Holland dealer sells them,and they have Honda engines on them.

I am also looking at a Ducar,now these are built in China,but appear to be a good machine.They have Honda knock-offs,but are identical to a honda.The guy who sells them assembles them,starts and runs them to make sure everything is as should be.These come with battery included ( for electric start ),where as with some brands the battery is extra.

I was kind of hoping to buy today,but I may not. I was also wondering gas or diesel,but gas will be fine for the amount of use it will probably get. Price will also play a role in this as I do not plan to spend all out doors for something I will hardly use.Oh yes and I want one in the 6500 watt power output.

Any advice will be pondered carefully,thanks.

2. Bolens 1000

Bolens 1000 Member

Well, I moved this to the misc. forum..... I wanted to see how well I knew the moderation features of this site LOL :D

3. mjodrey

mjodrey Moderator

Thanks Brian.

4. caseguy

caseguy Member

I have a no-name from a now defunct chain store called builders square. It has an 8 HP Techy engine with 5500 watt output. It works well for all the more I use it, but I'd rather it were a little better! I can't seem to get the carb right on it, it always seems labored to me.

5. daytime dave

daytime dave Member

If I were going to buy a new generator, I would buy a diesel. I base this on the diesel vs. gas engine performance I see in cars, trucks and tractors. I see much longer life for the engine. I would rather store 10 gallons of diesel than gasoline as well.

6. NUTNDUN

NUTNDUN Administrator

If you are going to go with a gas powered generator I would prefer to have a Honda engine on it. A diesel generator would be sweet though. If it is only for short periods maybe a diesel generator would be a little overkill.

7. mjodrey

mjodrey Moderator

Looks like were gonna be in for another bad wind storm tonight,probably loose power again.

8. NUTNDUN

NUTNDUN Administrator

Well, I hope you don't loose power. Maybe you should have bought that generator today.

9. bhts

bhts Member

There are so many makers of generators now a days.For the use you are talking a gas one would last you years.Electric start is a plus.local dealer support.Dewalt makes a good unit i have a coleman and it does a great job.

10. mjodrey

mjodrey Moderator

Looks like I am going with a Ducar,the reasons for this are:
    The dealer is close.
    I have researched these and they seem to be good generators.
    Good warranty .
    Good service.
    This dealer starts,runs,and tests them to make sure everything is working before he sells them.
    He also stocks parts for them.
    This one I guess I am going to get has a gas powered 13 hp Honda knock-off, which is identical to a Honda,some parts will even interchange.It is a 6500 watt generator.

11. NUTNDUN

NUTNDUN Administrator

What is the wattage required to power everything in a house? I know there is a formula for it but I look at numbers all day estimating so I don't feel like looking it up to be honest LOL

12. mjodrey

mjodrey Moderator

I am not sure myself,I am all electric but don't plan to ,or need to run everything.The old 4800 watt job that I have ran what I needed, but just the bear necessities .

13. NUTNDUN

NUTNDUN Administrator

I would just need the coffee maker, fridge and computer/internet :D

14. mjodrey

mjodrey Moderator

Keep in mind it is Winter,a little heat is nice too.:)

15. daytime dave

daytime dave Member

You might want to call an electrician to integrate the generator to feed the box. You shut off the main and then plug the generator into a waiting plug. Dad had it done and it worked well. Couldn't run everything, but you can pick what you want on and no extension cords. It's on my list to have done here at my house.

16. MH81

MH81 Member

Gotta watch wiring it that way. Some areas have a law that you can't do it that way. If someone flips the wrong switch, you could hit the guy out on the pole with 220.

Just be careful.

17. caseguy

caseguy Member

It's a little pricey, but they can wire in a sub-panel that has all the necessities on it and as long as you have power from the grid, it powers both the main and the sub. In the event of a power failure, the generator automatically starts and powers only the sub-panel. When the grid comes back up, the generator stops and a switch restores power to everything else. Pretty slick, but like I said, pricey!

18. mjodrey

mjodrey Moderator

Well I bought the Ducar today.Thanks for your input,much appreciated.

As to "hook up",I intend to install a "legal" panel, but for the time being I am plugging it in to my 220 welder outlet.This will only be temporary,and I may not even have to use it before I do get a proper hook up.
    I will say,that the welder plug is how I used to do it with my old generator years ago,and had no problems.I know,it only takes one mistake.

19. DH1

DH1 New Member

I have 0ne similar to the Ducar, mine is called a Bolton made in China, 13hp, 6500 watt 12volt electric start, has pull start too but you still need a 12volt battery hooked up as it has cutoff solenoid on the bottom of the carb. Last time the power went of here it ran 18hrs non stop, no problem.

20. NUTNDUN

NUTNDUN Administrator

Did it go 18 hours without a refill on gas?