Favorite brand of chainsaw?

Discussion in 'Chain Saw Forum' started by Bolens 1000, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Bolens 1000

Bolens 1000 Member

Just want to know what your favorite brand /preference of chainsaw is.
    I have a few McCulloch's and have a lombard (non running) I also have an old home-lite that feels like its going to rip your arm off when you use it for a while because its so heavy. I have an Echo that's about 3 years old that's my favorite to use.

2. NUTNDUN

NUTNDUN Administrator

Are your McCullough's older ones? I like the old chain saws but you can't beat the anti vibes on a lot of the newer saws.

I have a Stihl 362 which I do like but I think I am growing fonder of the Dolmars.

3. Bolens 1000

Bolens 1000 Member

Yep they are all old.
    I have about 5 mini-macs (3 running) I have a larger one too but have not used it in a long time.

4. NUTNDUN

NUTNDUN Administrator

I think it would be cool to find one of the two man chain saws for a collectors piece. The other one I would like to find is a David Bradley chain saw.

5. mjodrey

mjodrey Moderator

I don't really have a favorite because I hardly ever use one,but I do have two,one is a very small Partner,the other one is a big heavy old Remington which is about 30 years old.

6. NUTNDUN

NUTNDUN Administrator

I like the old Remingtons. I almost bought one off of ebay a couple months ago.

7. mjodrey

mjodrey Moderator

My dad used to be a dealer back in the late 60's for Remington saws.Also was a dealer for Mercury outboards,Springbok boats,and Moto-ski snowmobiles.Let's see, am I forgetting anything ?

8. Bolens 1000

Bolens 1000 Member

Thats pretty neat.
    Did he ever save any new equipment?

9. mjodrey

mjodrey Moderator

No,when he closed up shop,everything was sold ....unfortunately.

10. Bolens 1000

Bolens 1000 Member

:(

11. caseguy

caseguy Member

I have an Echo that my FIL gave me for my birthday. It's a fantastic saw! starts 2nd or 3rd pull first time (even after sitting for months) and about 1/2 pull after it's warm. I also have an older McCullough PM610 with a 24" bar. That thing is a BEAST! My FIL is a chainsaw carver and has about 30 different saws.

12. NUTNDUN

NUTNDUN Administrator

The older Macs are beasts. A lot of the older saws were beasts. I couldn't imagine being the guy on the bar end on some of those two man saws. I would have dirty underwear after the first go round LOL.

13. MH81

MH81 Member

I have a Mini-Mac 25... does that even count as a chain saw?

14. Bolens 1000

Bolens 1000 Member

Sure.
    I believe I have a 25 as well.. I know I have a couple 30's

15. MH81

MH81 Member

yeah, but that's my BIG gas saw right now....

16. Bolens 1000

Bolens 1000 Member

As long as it gets the job done;)

17. MH81

MH81 Member

Bolens 1000, dare I ask what brand your avatar is? Kinda looks like a Sears we had when I was little... different colors tho...

18. Bolens 1000

Bolens 1000 Member

Its a Bolens orbit air mower

19. caseguy

caseguy Member

That's GOTTA' be from the early '70s with a name like "orbit"!

20. caseguy

caseguy Member

I've used Alan's Mini-Mac 25 and it definitely gets the job done. It beats the heck out of sawing by hand! Plus you get that wonderful smell of burning fuel! It's good to know that all those trees from millions of years ago didn't die in vain!