Does anyone have a gas powered generator?

Discussion in 'General Outdoor Power Forum' started by mjodrey, Oct 10, 2010.

1. mjodrey

mjodrey Moderator

I have an old Homelite generator from the mid 60's,it puts out 4800 watts . It is powered by a Briggs and Stratton engine. I believe is 10hp ,although I can't be sure because someone painted over everything.

2. Bolens 1000

Bolens 1000 Member

I have a Homelite generator that's about 25 years old.

3. caseguy

caseguy Member

I have an old Honda 3500 Watt. It's at least 25 years old. The generator still works well, but the engine is whooped! I'm gonna build a rack for the front of my Wheel Horse 312 and mount it there to run off of the PTO. I also have a 5000 Watt generator from when Builders Square went under here. I can't remember the brand name, or if it even has one. I think it has a 7HP Tecumseh engine on it. We modified the choke plate on it so that it would actually start when it's cold out!

4. mjodrey

mjodrey Moderator

I thought about running mine off of one of my tractors too.

5. NUTNDUN

NUTNDUN Administrator

I don't have our own generator but the place I work at sells Honda generators. Does that count? :D

6. mjodrey

mjodrey Moderator

Honda is a very good name.

7. caseguy

caseguy Member

The parts for the engine on the Honda are still available, but the WH doesn't need any! Plus I'll get some fab time out of it!

8. mjodrey

mjodrey Moderator

Hey Steve,keep us posted on this build.

9. caseguy

caseguy Member

I will. It's on my "list" of things to do, but that's a Looooooooooooooooooooooooooong list! LOL

10. mjodrey

mjodrey Moderator

I know all about those Loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong lists.I wall papered my office with one. LOL:D:D:D

11. DH1

DH1 New Member

I have 2, both made in China, both are called Bollton
    1 is 6.5hp 3000 watt, pull start, got this one because I can pick it up and carry it if I have to.
    2nd is 13hp 6500 watt, 12 volt or pull start, on wheels.
    Got both at about the same time 3 yr ago.

12. mjodrey

mjodrey Moderator

I just bought a Ducar,6500 watt,13hp.Has pull start,electric start,and remote start.I would say it is very much like Doug's.

13. bhts

bhts Member

Mine is a 4 or 5000 watt coleman has a 11hp briggs pull start :( Runs real good but can't leave gas in the tank as the float will let it drain out if not running.

14. daytime dave

daytime dave Member

I have a Coleman 5000 watt. It's a pull start and on wheels.

15. earthgrinder

earthgrinder dirt digger

I bought a Champion brand from Sears just prior to Y2K. It sure has come in handy a couple of times. It is a 5000 watt unit powered by a 10hp Tecumseh. I had a 200 amp panel installed at the time and a separate sub panel that is switchable from main panel to generator. In the sub are the items I thought were necessary when the lights go out. I really should have a 7500 watt unit as I need to watch how much stuff I run at one time.