Debating on stihl fs 90 or fs 130

Discussion in 'Weed Trimmer Forum' started by NUTNDUN, May 17, 2012.

1. NUTNDUN

NUTNDUN Administrator

I am looking at getting a new trimmer. I have had a Troy-bilt four stroke for a while now and it never fails that it is always contrary starting, primarily the first start of the year. I always end up having to clean the carb and lately it just isn't running right at all.

We also have a cheapy two stroke dad got a couple years ago and I gave up trying to get it running. We have a good bit of trimming to do around the property between the fence lines and around the trees so the trimmers do get put to good use.

Which leads me to getting a new trimmer. I have carpal tunnel on both of my hands and had surgery on my left hand and before too long I will end up having to get the right one done. With that being said I can only hold on to a trimmer for about 20 minutes before I have to set it down because of the vibrations. I want to get one with a shoulder strap and the bike style handle bars. Which is why I am debating between the Stihl FS 90 or the FS 130.

The 90 is a little cheaper but not but much so I don't think it would be bad spending the few extra bucks for the 130. The thing I do like is that they are professional level trimmers and if they run anything like my Stihl 362 chainsaw then I am sure I will be happy. Plus I can always mod the muffler LOL.

2. mjodrey

mjodrey Moderator

I guess it really boils down to how much you are willing to spend.

3. NUTNDUN

NUTNDUN Administrator

I ended up getting the Stihl FS 90R. It was $130 cheaper and for what we need it for I couldn't justify the extra money. I used it a little bit this past weekend and it is definitely easier on my arms then the old Troy-Bilt. We will have to see how it goes with some extended use. I am anxious for it to loose that new metal being heated smell LOL.